Chavana Retires from Taylor ISD

tcrow@taylorisd.org

 


Twenty-eight years ago, Maria Chavana applied for a job as a teacher’s aide with Taylor ISD. There were no openings for aide positions at that time, so she interviewed by phone with then East Williamson County Cooperative (EWCC) director, Barbara Burton, for a secretarial position in the special education office.

 

“She called me the very next day and offered me the job,” said Chavana. “That’s when central office was on Twelfth Street, and the EWCC office was in a small portable out back that was divided into two smaller rooms. I was on one side with Jane Crow and Carolyn Ging and we were like sardines in that little room. Barbara’s office was on the on the other side which was just as small. That was the East Williamson County Co-op office at that time, and I liked my job so much that I never wanted to leave.” 

 

Shortly after Chavana was hired, the department moved into the newly expanded central office building. Later, the EWCC moved into the first wing of the former Northside Elementary building, and then to the Main Street campus where it is now. Through all the changes, she has continued as secretary for the EWCC for her entire twenty-eight years of service.



 

Chavana was born and raised in Taylor. She attended Southside School for the elementary grades, then the old middle school on Seventh Street and the high school on North Main. She still remembers the teachers who had a positive impact on her during those years. 

 

“In elementary there was Mrs. Casarez,” Chavana recalled. “She later worked at Pasemann and would ask me to come back and give talks to her class. Then there was Mrs. Ponton and Mrs. Clark. Mrs. Givens was awesome, too, and always remembered me.” 

 

After graduation, Chavana went to work for State Farm. She was also a stay at home mom after her first son was born, and she later worked part time for Our Lady of Guadalupe Church. Then she applied for a job with the school and accepted the position that she refers to as a calling. 

 

“My passion is working for special needs,” Chavana said. “I have a special needs sister so I’ve always taken an interest, it’s like a calling. I look at my job in the front office as a service to the parents and staff. As the first person they see, I have the opportunity to set the tone for the day. If I’m going to sit there all grumpy, then everybody else will be grumpy. If I’m pleasant, then hopefully that will put them in a good mood.“

 

Some of her favorite memories include the annual Christmas parties held for the EWCC staff, which included Granger, Thrall and Coupland as well as Taylor.


“We would decorate the board room and host our annual Christmas parties for the whole COOP,” Chavana said. “We may talk on the phone a lot, but this was the one time during the year that we had time to see each other in person and visit and get to know each other.” 

 

Favorite memories also include supporting Special Olympics and the COOP Comets athletic events.

 

“Just seeing their smiles as they participate and succeed, that’s what makes it all worthwhile.”

 

For those just starting their careers, Chavana advises that having a positive attitude leads to success. 

 

“If you get up having a bad day, just leave it behind when you walk through the door because you are going to set the tone for your students and co-workers for the day. We’re only human and we all have bad days, but when you get to your desk put that smile on and look at the positive side. For those eight hours you have to give it your best.”

 

Maria and husband Manuel have two children and three grandchildren. Retirement plans include spending more time with family, keeping the newest grandbaby three days a week, and traveling. 

 

“I have always wanted to go to Paris, that’s my dream,” Chavana said. “I also have a special needs sister that’s older than me so another big plan I have is to spend more time with her.”

 

Looking back, Chavana said she loves her hometown and is grateful for the career opportunity here.  

 

“Taylor ISD is a great school and I have truly, truly enjoyed working here. You have a lot of support, and if someone has a need we all step up right away to help. Taylor is a good community, too. I grew up in Taylor and never left. I’ve gone to the same church my whole life and spent all my years in the same school. It’s a good hometown.” 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bernice Sanchez Retires as THJ Registrar

Anita Volek Leads TEE Foundation

A Career of Giving Back